Tuesday 21 April 2009

Leaving Beijing and Moving to Jakarta

When my husband asked me "Do you think living in Jakarta is a good idea?" I thought for 5 seconds, and said "After living in Beijing for three years? Oh, yeah absolutely. When are we taking off?"

Back then, we lived in Sanlitun area in Beijing. It's a relatively chic and modern area, with many bars, restaurants and shopping malls. And you would think city girl Kim would have a blast. Although Beijing is a city guised with glitzy exterior, what's underneath is often poor maintenance and quality issues. And I'm not talking about just the buildings here. Not saying there are no nice things(you can find nice things even in the most undesirable place on earth), and I have some great memories too. And I do recommend that if you haven't been to China, you should go there and have a look. But trust me you don't want to live there for more than 2 years. Unless you want to learn the Beijing-accented Mandarin, and enjoy dead-fish-eye staring from strangers on the street. I call that "the death ray".


This is our empty house from inside

So here I am, in a hotel in Southern Jakarta, waiting for our house to be ready and the shipments with all our stuff in it. and of course snacking too. Hopefully we can move to our new house asap.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your say about my post. Leave a message! Thanks